Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Disappearing Capital

I've noticed in the last few issues of US Weekly (which I've discussed previously) that whenever a celebrity is quoted and it includes "God", the word is written with the lower case - "god". Is this a trend that's across all print media, or is it just the gossip rags? When did this shift happen? I'm not annoyed or anything, but it was something I noticed and thought warranted comment.

What does the de-capitalization of the word most commonly used to refer to the Christian God mean? I can't even write the word lower case, that's how ingrained it is in me. And yet, in one of the (sadly) most widely read publications in the country, it's now standard operating procedure to de-capitalize the word. I think it may point to the increased secularization of our culture, and I'd point to it as an example of how we truly are living beyond Christendom.

No comments:

Post a Comment